According to Liuxers, Clinton County, Michigan is a vibrant and diverse county located in the lower peninsula of Michigan. The county seat is St. Johns, which has been the county seat since 1831. The population of Clinton County is approximately 75,000 people, with a median age of 39.5 years old.
The economy of Clinton County is mainly agricultural-based with corn and soybeans being the main crops grown in the area. There are also several large manufacturing plants located in Clinton County such as Kellogg’s and Nestle Purina PetCare Company. Tourism also plays an important role in the economy as there are several popular attractions such as golf courses, parks, lakes, museums and historical sites like the Historic DeWitt Courthouse Square which was built in 1838.
Clinton County has a strong education system with several public school districts serving students from kindergarten through 12th grade including DeWitt Public Schools, East Lansing Public Schools and St Johns Public Schools. There are also two higher education institutions located in Clinton County; Central Michigan University and Alma College both offer a variety of degree programs for students to choose from.
Clinton County offers residents many recreational activities to enjoy year-round including camping at local campgrounds or state parks such as Sleepy Hollow State Park or visiting one of the many lakes for fishing or boating activities like Lake Ovid or Lake St Clair Metropark Beach on Lake St Clair. There are also numerous golf courses throughout the county that provide hours of fun for golfers at all skill levels.
Clinton County has something to offer everyone no matter what their interests are. With its strong economy, excellent education system, an abundance of recreational activities and friendly communities it truly makes it an ideal place to call home.
History of Clinton County, Michigan
Clinton County, Michigan has a long and interesting history that dates back to the early 1800s. The area was initially inhabited by several Native American tribes including the Potawatomi, Ojibwa, and Ottawa. In 1831, the county was officially organized and St. Johns was selected as the county seat.
During the mid-1800s, Clinton County experienced a period of rapid growth and development with new settlers arriving from New England and other parts of the United States. The economy was mainly agricultural-based with corn and soybeans being the primary crops grown in the area. With its strategic location along major trade routes, Clinton County saw an influx of new businesses that included sawmills, grist mills, tanneries and brickyards.
The Civil War had a significant impact on Clinton County as many residents enlisted in either the Union or Confederate armies. Afterward, many veterans returned to Clinton County to rebuild their lives and start businesses or farms. During this time period there were also several major railroads built throughout the county which helped spur economic growth in areas like DeWitt Township which was established in 1869.
In recent years, Clinton County has continued to grow with new industries such as manufacturing plants like Kellogg’s and Nestle Purina PetCare Company moving into the area as well as two higher education institutions; Central Michigan University and Alma College both offering a variety of degree programs for students to choose from. Today, Clinton County is home to approximately 75,000 people who enjoy its strong economy, excellent education system and abundance of recreational activities all year long.
Major cities and towns in Clinton County, Michigan
Clinton County, Michigan is home to a number of cities and towns, each with its own unique history and culture. The county seat is St. Johns, a city that was established in 1831 and is located in the middle of the county. It is home to Central Michigan University and has a population of over 8,000 people.
DeWitt Township is located in the northern part of Clinton County and was established in 1869 by settlers from New England. It has a population of nearly 9,000 people and offers many recreational activities such as camping, fishing, hunting and golfing.
The city of Bath is located in the western part of Clinton County along the banks of the Grand River. It was founded in 1832 by settlers from New York State and today it has a population of over 3,000 people. The city offers plenty to do including shopping at one-of-a-kind stores or visiting one of its many parks such as Lake Ovid or Riverside Park.
The village of Ovid is situated on the eastern edge of Clinton County along the banks of Lake Ovid. It was founded in 1836 by settlers from Ohio and today it has a population of around 1,500 people. There are plenty of things to do here such as visiting local museums or taking part in recreational activities like swimming or boating on Lake Ovid.
Alma is located near the center of Clinton County on both sides of US Highway 127 which runs through town. It was founded in 1856 by settlers from Ohio who named it after Alma College which opened its doors that same year. Today, it has a population of around 9,000 people who enjoy all that Alma has to offer such as historical sites like The Alma Opera House or outdoor recreation at Woldumar Nature Center & Preserve.
Finally, there’s Maple Rapids which lies at the southern end of Clinton County along M-21 highway near the Lansing & Grand Rapids metropolitan area. It was established in 1872 by settlers from Indiana and today it has a population of around 730 people who enjoy all that Maple Rapids has to offer such as fishing on Maple River or visiting one of its local parks like Veteran’s Memorial Park or Johnson Park.
Airports in Clinton County, Michigan
Clinton County is home to two airports, St. Johns Municipal Airport and Capital Region International Airport. See Michigan airports. St. Johns Municipal Airport is a public airport owned by the City of St. Johns and located three miles northeast of the central business district of St. Johns, Michigan. This airport is used for general aviation purposes such as flight training, crop dusting, commercial operations, and air taxi services. It covers an area of 150 acres and has one asphalt runway measuring 3,811 feet in length with a weight capacity rating of 5,000 lbs single wheel or 10,000 lbs dual wheel aircrafts. The airport also offers refueling services for both avgas and jet fuel as well as aircraft rental and storage facilities for private aircraft owners.
Capital Region International Airport is located in Lansing Michigan and serves the Greater Lansing region as well as Clinton County. This airport is owned by the Capital Region International Airport Authority (CRIAA) and operated by Capital Region International Airport (CRIA). It covers an area of 1,100 acres with two asphalt runways measuring 6,500 feet in length with weight capacity ratings of up to 75,000 lbs single wheel or 150,000 lbs dual wheel aircrafts. This airport also offers refueling services for both avgas and jet fuel along with aircraft hangars for long-term storage needs for private aircraft owners. Additionally, it provides cargo handling services along with passenger amenities such as restaurants & lounges, gift shops & newsstands, car rentals & taxi services among others making it one of the most important airports in Michigan’s Lower Peninsula region.